Peter

> I doubt that you should have any PPT entries in SCHEDxx that refer to z/OS
> programs (and almost surely should not have any that are identified to z/OS
> via IEFSDPPT).

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If you are trying to say that the
attributes of any program which appears in the IEFSDPPT CSECT should not also
have SCHEDxx PPT statements, then I most profoundly disagree.

The rest of this post depends upon this being a correct interpretation of what
you may appear to be trying to say.

Long, long ago for my test/education systems I found the single job step
limitation imposed by SYST on VTAM, ISTINM01, an irritation[1] and - using the
SCHEDxx PPT statement - changed the attribute to NOSYST. Of course I did not
forget to specify TIME=1440 on the EXEC statement.

I ran VTAM, the major subject of my hands-on classes for years and years in up
to 8 systems without any problems whatsoever.

I used the same technique on other programs such as NetView or any program with
an entry in IEFSDPPT with the "hard-coded" SYST attribute that also had a need
for dump data sets.

Did I ever experience any problems over the years I used this "trick"? Nary one.

Back in March 2006 I requested comments from the assembled IBM-MAIN literati
over whether there may still be some snags caused by changing the SYST
attribute to NOSYST. You did not jump in waving a red flag and your colleague
Jim Mulder appeared to be quite content about it.

-

More recently - unfortunately now shorn of my test/education systems and no
longer with access to any sort of "sandbox" - I have been advising that the
NOCANCEL attribute of the SNA-oriented TELNET program, EZBTNINI, should be
changed to CANCEL in order that the program can enjoy the services of the
AUTOLOG mechanism.[2] As I cannot test overriding NOCANCEL with CANCEL, I have
asked anyone with access to a "sandbox" to try it out but regrettably have not
yet had any takers.

There is nothing about this program that suggests it needs any sort of tender
care different from other major server programs such as the FTP server.

-

[1] The reason was that, in a preliminary job step, I wanted to ensure the
deletion of any dump data sets that may have been used the last time the
procedure was run. In the previously single job step I could then set up a
minimal dump data set - with a large secondary extent.

[2] See the paranoia on the subject in the z/OS Communications Server IP
Configuration Guide, section 2.2.1.1, "Steps for starting the TN3270E Telnet
server":

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/f1a1b3b1/2.2.1.1

-

Chris Mason