If I remember rightly Pascal does bounds checking. Pascal was one of the
languages I did at college - and the highest-level one. A bit of a shock
to me to discover - in an IBM Systems Engineer training homework
assignment - that COBOL didn't. (This was in 1986.) The result was me
stomping over the code by assigning values to array elements using only
slightly excessive subscript values. :-) I think I learnt something from
that. :-)

I mention this because the bounds checking in Pascal is probably what
prevented buffer overrun issues (and nowadays with C etc actual exploits).

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer,
zChampion, Principal Systems Investigator,
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog: