On Tue, 26 May 2020 22:50:10 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Well, if it were up to me z/OS would support cataloged data sets with longer
>index levels, but circumstances being what they are I'd rather not parse them.
>Besides, they're only valid inside of apostrophes.

DISABLE(DSNCHECK) supersedes most such rules.

But JCL is oblivious to DISABLE(DSNCHECK).  It won't let the programmer
create  an unconventional DSN without apostrophes nor catalog any DSN
within apostrophes.

Empirically, I found I couldn't create a DSN starting with a period even
within apostrophes.  I don't know where this is documented.

-- gil