From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Billy Ashton [bill00ash...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:41 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Sort extracting values in PDS members

Hi again! This group has been so helpful - especially Kolusu - and I
have one more question as I learn how to use SORT more creatively.

I have a bunch of PDS files where I have to read through each member and
create some control cards based on the content in the member (due to the
nature of these files, the request needs to be vague). So here are the
questions:
1. Is there a way to automatically read all members of a PDS? If not, I
can generate the individual file names with member in a separate
process.
2. When I read each member, I will be looking for KEYWORD(value) - the
keyword will be either "KEYWORD1" or "LONGKEYWORD2" and will be within
the first 5 lines of the member, at which point I stop reading (some of
the members have 25000 lines!), and the Keyword could be anywhere on the
line, in column 1 or with a space delimiter. Keyword can be 8 or 12
characters long, and Value can be 2 to 8 characters.
3. I then need to create a string of -ADD- Value.Keyword.Dyyyymmdd
(Today's date) that I will use in my further processing.

Note that I could write a program to manage this, but am trying to keep
the processing in a control member rather than a program, as utility
programs seem to get lost around here.

Since I can't show you the real input, here is some contrived data:

Member1:
KEYWORD1(val) Otherkw(val) Otherkey2(anothervalue)
Line2
Line3
etc.

Member 2:
Line 1
Line 2
Otherkw(val) Otherkw2(val) LONGKEYWORD2(longvalu) Otherkw3(val)
etc.

Member 3:
Line 1
Otherkw1(withitslongvalue) LONGKEYWORD2(valu)
Line 3
etc.

Member 4:
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
Line4
KW(val) Anotherkw(anditsvalue) Alongkeywordhere(withalongvalue)
KEYWORD1(va)
etc.

This would create the output (either in a single MOD file, or separate
files I can put together myself:
VAL.KEYWORD1.D20200527
LONGVALU.LONGKEYWORD2.D20200527
VALU.LONGKEYWORD2.D20200527
VA.KEYWORD1.D20200527

Can something like this be done in a DFSORT step? If not, I can write
the various utilities myself in Rexx and/or COBOL, so you don't need to
suggest that.

Thanks for your help once more!
Billy