From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of R.S.
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 5:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: IODF/IOCDS questions

CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL

W dniu 28.05.2020 o 16:04, Edgington, Jerry pisze:
> We currently have 3 CECs with multiple different IODFs.
>
> Question #1) How can I do combine/move all the CECs into a single IODF?
> Question #2) How can I update the CEC's IOCDS from a different CEC?  What
> steps are needed to run a batch job from one CEC to update another CEC?

1. Yes and this is recommended way. Note: you may keep completely unrelated
CECs in single IODF.
2. There are many ways to update IOCDS. One of them is to update IOCDS in CEC
#1 when working on LPAR under CEC #2. However for this scenario you need to set
up your "CEC plex" or rather "SE plex" (SE=Support element). First step is to
connect internal networks. Internal network is the LAN between HMC and SE.
Usually it is three node network: SE, Alternate SE and HMC. Recommended way is
to connect all the SEs and HMCs in one LAN (excluding optional remote HMC). You
need to change SE and HMC adresses and change HMC name. Defaults are the same
causing conflict.
Next you have to add CPCs (objects) to HMCs - the best way is every HMC manage
every CPC. BTW: It is also good idea to set up domain security now. Otherwise
someone with illegal CPC (grin) or illegal HMC would be able to connect to your
SE plex.

Note: everything I described can be done remotely, however that require proper
planning and order of changes. A mistake could cause a trip to datacenter to
fix it. And be sure you have valid userids and passwords on each SE and HMC.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland