Hi Brian,
When building a sysplex using CTC's, each LPAR mist have connectivity to all of
the other LPARS.
If you have more than two LPARS, it gets complicated very fast.

I've always had to get help from IBM for defining the CTC's in HCD.
Once you have to connectivity defined, the rest is fairly easy. It's all in the
'Setting up a sysplex' Manual.
You have to setup COUPLExx members in parmlib. Here you define the devices that
are used for communication.

Once that is done and all of the systems are in the sysplex, GRS knows it (I
think) and can be defined and used.

IF you have two LPARS, then two ficon cards are enough for two sets of
communication paths.
If you have three LPARS, then you will need 3 Ficon cards
If you have four LPARS, then you will need 6 ficons cards

This assumes that you have two paths between LPARs to avoid a single point of
failure.

The IOCP definitions also get complicated the more LPARs you have.

Maybe getting an ICP (A dedicated CPU for the coupling facility) and more
memory, will not be as expensive as you thing, and will be a lot simpler.

Gadi