From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Farley, Peter x23353 [peter.far...@broadridge.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:43 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Punched cards and character set

Radoslaw,

In the IBM world, all possible EBCDIC characters (all 256) were possible to
punch into physical cards, but punching any characters not on the keypunch
machine's keyboard (like lower-case letters) required using the "multi-punch"
key (or on older keypunch machines, physically holding the card in place so
that punches did not advance the column position) to manually punch the
necessary holes in one column.

If you sent "object deck" output of the assembler or a compiler to a physical
card punch peripheral you could punch all 256 characters into them.  It was
harder to do from a manual keypunch machine.

There were alternate physical card formats for non-IBM environments.  IIRC,
Univac used a 96-column card with round holes instead of rectangular ones.  I
saw them once, but never got to work with them.

I have been asking Google to find any documentation of the full encoding of
punches to EBCDIC characters but haven't found anything relevant yet.

Sorry, I don't have any actual JCL on physical punched cards any more.
Somewhere in the attic I may have a box or two of blank ones, but nothing with
punches.

Peter