On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 21:42:00 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
>Notice how you can clearly see what was your comment, and how my

But only if your MUA distingushes quoted material.  Am I a Luddite for
eschewing HTML coloring (and even remembering that HTML was (early)
intended for semantic as opposed to presentation markup?)

>For a very long time, email, and news, was some of the larger content on
>the Internet.  (Times have changed.)  So, many servers, particularly
>news servers, instituted ratios of comment vs quoted content.

In this thread contributors have asserted that netiquette was intended
for USENET rather than person-to-person email.  But LISTSERV more
closely resembles a newsgroup than targeted email.  So the USENET
netiquette should remain applicable

>It has long been considered better netiquette to both prune quoted
>content to just what's relevant and to put your response /after/ what
>your commenting about.

Earlier, I lauded threaded viewers without supplying examples such as:
    http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2020-January/thread.html
    https://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2020-01/

Good structure.  LISTSERV should embrace it.

Oliver North learned that distorting or concealing antecedents doesn't work.

-- gil