From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Alan Altmark [alan_altm...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 1:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: MVS master consoles

Hi.  I'm learning some things about MVS consoles.    I have both the PD
console (SYSCON - aka Operating System Messages task on the HMC) and a
local 3270 console (named MVSMAST) active.  Both have all routing codes
assigned.  This is in a virtual machine, so SYSCON works with the #CP
VINPUT VMSG command and displays line mode output.

Will both receive all messages and can either one respond to system action
messages?

What I really don't want is for use of the 3270 console to interfere with
what's going on with SYSCON.   Someone DIALs into the 3270 console and all
of sudden the PD console stops getting messages or some such.  As you can
tell, there's a lot about MVS console management I don't grok.  I've
looked in the books, of course, but all that did was confuse me a bit
more.  It assumed I already understood various aspects of how consoles
work.

I know I can vary MVSMAST inactive at system startup and require them to
activate it manually via #CP VINPUT VMSG, but that seems like mean thing
to do if I can be assured that it's presence won't materially affect
messages appearing on the PD console and it's ability to respond to any
action messages it sees.  (Yup, might be a race between human and machine,
but I expect the machine to win that race.)

Thanks.,
Alan
Alan Altmark
Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
Phone: 607-429-3323 | Mobile: 607-321-7556
E-mail: altma...@us.ibm.com
          Endicott, NY  USA