Interesting! I've set up the TN3270 parms on the mainframe for SSL/TLS but that was before TLS1.2

On 6/30/2020 10:09 AM, Jackson, Rob wrote:
A note, without addressing your entire post (certainly not my area of
expertise):  AT-TLS is required for TN3270 (and others) if you want to use TLS
1.2 and higher.  In your TELNETPARMS for the port, instead of using SECUREPORT,
you use TTLSPORT, referencing a port specified in a TTLSRule in AT-TLS.

First Horizon Bank
Mainframe Technical Support

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Tom
Brennan
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 12:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: AT-TLS ? Very Basic Questions

[External Email. Exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments.]

I've tried to skim some of the AT-TLS doc, and even attended an IBM webinar
last week, but I'm still missing what I imagine are important background
points.  Maybe someone here can explain things, but don't worry too much about
it.

Client and server programs like SSH/SSHD call programs such as OpenSSL to
handle the encryption handshake and processing.  So when you set those up,
there is no AT-TLS needed for encryption.  Same with the
TN3270 server and client, as long as you set that up with keys and parameters
on the host side, and settings on the client side.

I'm thinking because of the name "Application Transparent" that AT-TLS was made for
programs that DON'T have their own logic to call OpenSSL (or whatever) to do their own encryption.
Let's use clear-text FTP as an example.  So somehow, AT-TLS hooks into the processing and provides
an encrypted "tunnel", kind of like VPN does, but only for that one application.  Does
that sound correct?

If so, then the encryption is "transparent" to the FTP server code and FTP does
not need to be changed, which I think is the whole idea here.
Yet we now have an encrypted session.  Does that sound correct?

Then if so, what happens on the FTP client side?  I certainly can't use the
Windows FTP command, for example, because it's not setup for any kind of
encryption.  That's kind of my big question here.