Ron,

The JOINKEYS feature indeed treats the keys to compare as binary. If both
files have keys in binary format, you can compare them straight away
without any normalization. However if you have 1 key in binary and the
other key in ZD/PD/UFF/SFF format then you need to normalize them. You can
use an INREC statement in JNF1CNTL and/or JNF2CNTL to normalize the keys
for the F1 file and/or F2 file, respectively, if appropriate.

Check this link which explains in detail about the JOINKEY Statement

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ICE1CA60/4.3

See the smart DFSORT trick "Create files with matching and non-matching
records" for examples here

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=114&uid=isg3T7000094

Thanks,
Sri Hari Kolusu