The biggest whomp I heard about was at Midwestern data-center. Highway
department dropped a load of ammonium nitrate to widen the Interstate. Over the
weekend lightning hit the trailer and kaboom-ed 32k lbs. It was about halfway
between primary and secondary data centers. Knocked out the bearings on all
their SLEDs at both sites.
Saw them at a tuning conference a few weeks later and they still looked like
zombies.

There was a neat presentation at SHARE by one of the paint companies in the
Susquehanna Valley about single point of failure. I forget all the details but
again highway department knocked off the side of a cliff. It had their freshly
run fiber between Headquarters, data center and backup. Nothing was damaged but
the fiber. They just couldn't talk to each other. Ended up running fiber over
an abandoned railroad trestle. One of the sysprogs was a climber and had him
upside down repelling over the river.

In a message dated 7/7/2020 9:59:38 AM Central Standard Time,