Isreal,

> On 11 July 2020, at 15:30, Paul Gilmartin
> <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 12:51:04 -0500, Israel Wagshal wrote:
>>
>> I'm installing a software that has to have its own zFS aggregate mounted and
>> available.
>>
>> Looking into the USS filesystem I can see many IBM products' zFS aggregates
>> mounted off /usr/lpp.
>> I can see no foreign aggregate mounted off /usr/lpp.
>>
> I believe LPP abbreviated Licensed Program Products.

That is what IBM has designated it. IBM though does not say it is for IBM
Licensed Program Products. CA (now Broadcom) uses /usr/lpp/CA/product_name quit
a bit; as do a few others.

> The convention elsewhere seems to be /usr/local:
>    https://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALLOCALHIERARCHY

The common place to put most Open Source tools is /usr/local/tool_name;
particularly in Linux installations. Occasionally some 3rd Party Products use
this as well (though they also end up in /var and /opt quite a bit).

>> However, /usr/lpp is in IBM's Version root which is mounted R/O.

This is recommended configuration

>> Is it proper to change Version root's mount mode temporarily to R/W and
>> mkdir another mountpoint off /usr/lpp for the product I'm installing, or
>> should this be avoided and made elsewhere?
>> Is there a general recommendation where to mount aggregates for non-IBM
>> products?
>> The vendor says nothing about this.
>>
>> Can mount mode of the Version root be changed on the fly by some command or
>> will this require bouncing the system?

You can dynamically change the IBM Root Filesystem (or any mounted Filesystem)
from r/o to r/w and back again (line commands or via ISHELL Filesystem
utility), you do need to be root (either via “su” command or your UID being 0).

What I have found to do to try to align with IBM’s intentions is the following:

1. Create a mount point in the root filesystem to mount 3rd party products, say
/products.
I use a Automount to dynamically mount filesystems here. With proper naming
standards you can code a general rule in the /etc/automount/product config file
(or just hard code then as needed and refresh vial the automount command).

2. Copy the 3rd Party Product to a Filesystem of its own.
If the vendor, say CA, suggests /usr/lpp/CA/caldap/...; I install it at the
/caldap/… level at the Filesystem.

3. Mount the filesystem so it is available, say the Filesystem is mounted at
/products/CALDAP … the product directory would be at /products/CALDAP/caldap.

4. Dynamically change root filesystem to r/w

5. Create a Soft Link in the /usr/lpp directory (e.g. “ln -sf
/products/CALDAP/caldap /usr/lpp/CA/caldap”)

6. Verify it is available via “ls -alF /usr/lpp/CA/caldap”

7. Dynamically change root filesystem back to r/o

I prefer to do it this way for a couple of reasons:

  1. Under Unix (USS is Posix 3 Unix) this wil behave exactly like it was
mounted at /usr/lpp/CA/caldap
  2. I want to keep the IBM root Filesystem as close to what is coming out of
SMP/E as possible
  3. I do not want to mount Filesystems on the IBM Root Filesystem, if possible*
  4. May products (I have seen this with IBM, CA, Rocket, …) have configuration
files that point to their “suggested” mount point and these are not alway
documented and/or auto configured correctly.
  5. It is always easier talking with a vendors support is everything looks to
be configured as closely to the manual as possible.

* I run in a Sysplex, with a share Sysplex Root Filesystem and the IBM Root
Filesystem is actually mount at /ipl-vol/

Al Ferguson       | mailto:afergu...@neptunescove.org
Milwaukee, WI USA |   http://www.neptunescove.org

Dulcius ex Asperis