I don't think this function exists,  and I'm thinking about writing up a SHARE
requirement for it (which I guess these days becomes an RFE but I'm a member of
SHARE so I think I'll go that way).   I thought I'd ask whether it would be
used enough to justify going through that process.

What I'm thinking about is a function (well, two)  to take a binary IP address
and do DNS lookup, retrieving the host/domain name. At the shop where I'm
currently working,  many logs don't do the lookup when logging, to save some
overhead.    Yet, it's always nice, when creating a report such as 'who is
connecting to us the most',  to be able to assign a name rather than an IP
address;   if the lookup can be done _after_ the data is summarized it would be
a lot more efficient.  Hence the thinking about making this a function for SORT.

I think this would involve two functions - one for IPV4 and one for IPV6.   We
might also like two formats similar to DT1 and the like, for formatting IPV4
and IPV6 binaries into strings. Although I think that can be managed now by
handling individual parts of the binary and interspersing separator characters
"manually" it would be much cleaner if it were handled like date/time fields
are.

Do you think this capability would be used enough to make it an RFE?