W dniu 05.08.2020 o 17:58, Bob Bridges pisze:
Radoslaw, it seems to me two things are going on here.  One is simply a mistake
of fact:  Speed limits are ~not~ a good candidate for standardization.  An
upper limit of 120mph would be possible in Texas but insane in North Carolina.
You said pretty much the same thing in your original post:  In Poland you use
140kph, but in Germany they use...nothing, I guess, except the local
policeman's judgement as to whether you're driving safely.  Why then do you say
it should be different here?  I'm guessing you're thinking of the USA as being
a single country in the same way Poland is a single country (so why can't the
US have a single speed limit like Poland?).  But the USA has almost (not quite)
the area of Europe.  Of course its geography varies considerably, and its speed
limits should do the same.

The other thing you're ignoring is the issue of sovereignty.  I'm guessing
you're thinking of the USA as a single country, and assuming the national
government can (and should) impose a standardized speed limit on its
subdivisions.  But as I said in another post, we are a collection of states,
not of provinces; the federal government wasn't given that authority.  Of
course the states can individually agree on standardized rules for some things
(not speed limits), IF THEY CHOOSE TO - just as Poland can agree to use the
same electrical standards as other sovereign nations, for convenience.  But
Poland has the authority to decide that - and I'm sure there are subjects on
which Poland has decided not to go along with everyone else in EU, for reasons
that no doubt seem good to Poland.

Bob,
First some disclaimers:
I really LIKE US. I don't feel comfortable in some countries or places, but I like Unites States. I have been there many times. I like rural places, San Francisco, Sonora Desert, Grand Canyon, NY state, etc. I also observe and like many small differences you have (compared to Europe). However it's off-topic. I also have nothing against political structure of US as Unites States. It is not my problem. Some countries are federations, some are not. Again, it is not my problem at all.

Regarding speed limits:

First, we are talking about *default* limits. Those limits can be further limited by signs when needed. And of course you have a lot of such signs, I saw them. Small, interesting difference: sometimes during school hours you  put temporary signs on something we call "caution wet floor" (small plastic stand). AFAIK, the limit was 15mph, less than normal.

2. I don't dispute how big the limits should be. OK, for me 55mph on highway is definitely too low. However I don't want to jugde whether Texas 85mph is better than NY 65mph. It is not my choice. I would only beg to avoid left-side traffic in some states. ;-)

3. Note: limit allows you to drive slower, depending on weather, snow, car, driver... You are not obliged to achieve the limit. Note2: In EU we also have signs for MINIMUM speed, but it is rarely used and only on some lanes of multi-lane road. Typical value is 60km/h which is approx 37mph. Nevermind.

4. I really see no reason why some state allows 15mph in "residential area" and another allows 55mph. I'm sorry, but independent states have common physics laws and people reflex, etc.

5. States may be independent - this is not my problem. However in Europe it was possible to agree quite detailed agreements between totally independent countries, including communist block, which was rather hostile than friendly. Reason was simple: road traffic has nothing to do with great politics. Yes, it is possible to talk and agree some useful things. Like truck equipment and speed limits.

6. What's funny for me, speed limits cannot be even put in the table, because there is no common categories set. I think Poland has complex set of limits. Usually it is urban area (clearly signed), rural area and highway. In Poland rural are have 3 subcategories: normal, two-way (independent lanes for each direction) and express (in other countries that's equal to highway). Yes, speed limits vary by the country (which I'm not happy), however differences between countries are smaller than in US and the rules are really similar. We also standarized rules regarding turn on red. ;-)

Last, but not least: I joined in the looong off-topic discussion. Speed limits in US are not the biggest issue in my life. Really. I don't belong to any Speed Limit Society or Speeders Party. I prefer bicycle - it is better for oversized IT guy. ;-)

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Jeśli nie jesteś adresatem tej wiadomości:

- powiadom nas o tym w mailu zwrotnym (dziękujemy!),
- usuń trwale tę wiadomość (i wszystkie kopie, które wydrukowałeś lub zapisałeś
na dysku).
Wiadomość ta może zawierać chronione prawem informacje, które może wykorzystać
tylko adresat.Przypominamy, że każdy, kto rozpowszechnia (kopiuje, rozprowadza)
tę wiadomość lub podejmuje podobne działania, narusza prawo i może podlegać
karze.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950
Warszawa,www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kont...@mbank.pl. Sąd Rejonowy dla m. st.
Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, KRS 0000025237,
NIP: 526-021-50-88. Kapitał zakładowy (opłacony w całości) według stanu na
01.01.2020 r. wynosi 169.401.468 złotych.

If you are not the addressee of this message:

- let us know by replying to this e-mail (thank you!),
printed out or saved).
This message may contain legally protected information, which may be used
exclusively by the addressee.Please be reminded that anyone who disseminates
(copies, distributes) this message or takes any similar action, violates the
law and may be penalised.

mBank S.A. with its registered office in Warsaw, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950
Warszawa,www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kont...@mbank.pl. District Court for the Capital
City of Warsaw, 12th Commercial Division of the National Court Register, KRS
0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Fully paid-up share capital amounting to PLN
169.401.468 as at 1 January 2020.