On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 04:16:38 +0000, Gadi Ben-Avi <gad...@malam.com> wrote:

>But that would mean checking if the user has access, or if the user has access
>through any of the groups it is connected to.

If I remember correctly, if the user can see anything from the profile that
protects the resource then he has at least READ access somehow. So that should
provide your answer. So running IRRXUTIL and querying the profile that protects
the resource should provide the answer you need.

However, I'd be careful doing this. First, of course, you have the Time Of
Check To Time Of Use problem, and after you make your check the user may lose
access.

Next, you need to worry about where the REXX exec runs. If it runs in the
user's address space then there are ways the user might bypass your check.

Finally, if your REXX exec is going to do something that will also perform a
security check, then it's generally better to just attempt the operation and
let the real enforcement happen. If you try to make a check yourself you may
get false positives or false negatives, depending on TOCTTOU and/or how the
security administrators decided to setup the profile and access lists.

--
Walt