On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 16:08:47 +0100, Rupert Reynolds wrote:

>Charles: Good points well made. Yes, I agree that UTF-16 offers no
>advantage to me. UTF-32 has to be considered for performance in string
>handling functions. I may end up defaulting to UTF-8 on disc, and
>converting to the others when needed.

Does "when needed" cover importing/exporting data to foreign systems?

I have mixed feelings about z/OS's facility of tagging files with CCSID.
From a POSIX purist's viewpoint it's a repugnant extension.  OTOH,
ISPF View/Edit's support of tagging is excellent.  I can Edit a UTF-8
file and characters display clearly, only limited by the CCSID of the
terminal.  But won't honor CCSID tagging of macros.  (Does ISPF
support any DBCS terminals?  Which?)

>The system's source and compiler (crude but working) are all written in
>7-bit ASCII to keep things simple, but data can be any value--I'm not a big
>fan of stringz :-)

7-bit ASCII doesn't well support UTF-8.  Rely on UTF-8's being a superset
of USASCII and consider all non-ASCII characters ordinary, not metacharacters.

-- gil