On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 12:06:49 +0000, Robert Prins wrote:

>... definitely not to keep myself in the picture.
>The simple fact is that I hate it that 'doze displays timestamps different in
>different time zones. So my TZ is UTC.

The time is different in different timezones.  What do you expect?
You mean that when you travel westward you set your realtime
clock back and continue to call your timezone UTC?  (And Windows
lets you do that!?)  So files created at your destination might be
timestamped earlier than files created at your point of origin?
And you want that?

Reminiscent of the Bad Old Days when IBM advised customers to
shut down for an hour at the Fall Daylight Saving Time boundary.

>An optimizing compiler, and none of the Pascal ones seem to fall into that
>category, should do this automagically.

Yes, but we were the compiler maintainers who had to code
that optimization.

>You mean you used "get" and/or "put"? I've never ever used those, but Borland,
>Virtual and Free Pascal can ...

"We don't follow standards; what we do is better!"

My parser used "get" because it provided a one-character
lookahead, valuable for recognizing non-self-delimiting tokens.

Otherwise, "get" creates a PITA for terminal input:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(programming_language)#File_type

-- gil