On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 12:03:18 -0400, scott Ford wrote:

>I have done things like true =‘Y’ and then
>
>If true
>end

What language?  That would certainly be a syntax error in Rexx.
And why?  You could just omit the "if true" and code:
    do
    end

n Sun, 6 Sep 2020 17:39:48 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>A simple true=1;false=0 should suffice for clarity.

Perhaps not to someone most familiar with shell scripts
where the definitions are nearly the opposite (command
status ($?) = 0 means success or true).

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 17:43:04 +0100, Rupert Reynolds wrote:

>The advantage of Boolean is clarity in something like:-
>/* Rexx */
>TRUE = (1=1)
>SELECT
>  WHEN logmode = "D4A32782" & (GotASCII & GotVBMrecord) THEN do
Continuing your example, how would you have set the variables
"GotASCII" and "GotVBMrecord" using the quasi-constants TRUE
and FALSE?  Does that enhance either clarity or economy of
expression?

I'm thinking that something like:
    if filetype=='ASCII' then GotASCII = TRUE; else GotASCII = FALSE
would more succinctly be written:
    GotASCII = ( filetype=='ASCII' )

But I've seen even worse, such as:
    if  GotASCII = true then ...
rather than simply:
    if  GotASCII then ...

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 19:28:11 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Yes, you can count on the truth values of 0 and 1 in REXX never changing.

Only if I spent $60 for the ANSI Standard .pdf

-- gil