"The maximum number of decimal digits allowed is 15. Default precision,
assumed when no specification is made, is (5,0). The internal coded
arithmetic form of decimal fixed-point data is packed decimal. Packed
decimal is stored two digits to the byte, with a sign indication in the
rightmost four bits of the rightmost byte. Consequently, a decimal fixed-point
data item is always stored as an odd number of digits, even though the
declaration of the variable may specify the number of digits (p) as an even
number."

Page 17

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/370/pli/GC33-0009-3_OS_PLI_Language_Reference_Jul74.pdf

Joe