From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Attila Fogarasi <fogar...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: PL/I support of vector instructions?

There is no source change as the DFP option applies only to DEC FLOAT and
not to FIXED BIN.  The data element storage sizes remain the same, but with
DFP the DEC FLOAT items become decimal floating point data and instructions
(and BIF) while with NODFP the DEC FLOAT is HEXADECIMAL float (as distinct
from the older BINARY float, which is not IEE754 compliant).  Confusing
having 3 incompatible and numerically incongruent floating point formats on
the same machine, and only DFP should be used now as it is both faster. (on
all supported z hardware today), more accurate, and more storage dense.  To
IBM's credit they have the best IEE754 implementation and went with the
expensive hardware option.
As for the vector facility, currently there are 32 vector registers, 128
bit wide.  The z14 extensions added DFP to vector and also quad-precision
capability.  You do need to set multiple compiler options correctly to get
vector code generated :)