On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 18:44:27 -0500, Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

>My idea for doing the fall back would be change the fall back time to
>0100.  Leap forward from 005959 to 020000, no problem.  But for fall
>back, 235959 continues to 240000 to 245959 then the next day at
>000000, resulting in no overlapping times.

I believe this has been suggested on the tzdata mailing list:
    https://www.iana.org/time-zones
... but I don't know that the archives are searchable.

Of course that would eliminate the overlap.  But how much user and
system software would need to be updated to accommodate it?

At a minimum, the TIME macro would need to be updated to return
those values from 240000 to 245959.  And many validity checks would
need to be weakened.

IBM can't even get TIME to return 23:59:60 during a leap second.
(With suitable settings, Linux can do so.)

-- gil