When J. P. Morgan was queried about how much the maintenance of the
steam yacht he used to commute between Manhattan and New Jersey cost
him, his legendary reply was, 'If you have to ask, you can't afford
it".

Analogously, if you have to look up the history of congruences in a
Wikipedia article, you should advance what you find there very
tentatively.  Euler, another great mathematician, did have some
notions of the mathematics of cycles; he would hasve had something
interesting to say about any topic her turned his mind to; but Gauss
is the founder of the modern theory of congruences.

Examples of this kind abound.  Archimedes, certainly the greatest
mathematician of antiquity, had some notions of the calculus; but its
inventor was Newton (if you are anglophone) or Leibniz (if not).
Precursors are of course important.  As Newton himself put it, "I was
able to see so far because I stood on the shoulders of giants".

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA