Am 22.09.2020 um 23:51 schrieb Farley, Peter x23353:
Current Enterprise COBOL compilers (and back as far as I know, even COBOL F-level from
MVT) always mark the last parameter address in the address list with the bit 0 turned on,
though I have not researched what current ones do if the last parameter is "BY
VALUE".

Thanks :-)

if you have by-value parameters (not addresses), then you're stuck;
by-value integers, for example - s9(9) comp in COBOL speech -
can be positive or negative and have the leftmost bit set off or on,
so examining the "addresses" (which are in fact not addresses in this case)
leads nowhere.

Same goes for PL/1 BYVALUE parameters.

As soon as you allow by-value parms, you can completely forget the
leftmost bit technique to mark the last parameter (address).

That's why C, for example, does not use nor support the VL bit,
although variable numbers of parameters are supported (#include <stdarg.h>);
instead the called function must be able to determine the total number
of parms from one of the leading parms, like in the printf() function, for example.

Kind regards

Bernd

Again for current Enterprise COBOL versions, the LE Vendor Interfaces manual
available in KC has the PPA1 format and in general how to locate it.

Peter