On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 11:21 AM Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 12:36:10 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:
>
> >I am giving a BOF on COBOL and the systems programmer on Thursday,
> >September 24 in the last session period - 16:15 Eastern time zone,
> >15:15 Central time zone, 14:15, Mountain time zone, 13:15 Pacific
> >time, 17:15 Atlantic time zone in Canada and 17:45 in Newfoundland.
> >
> Couldn't you simply say GMT?  What time in Arizona?  Hawaii?
> The Navajo Nation?  ...

Why not GMT (now UTC)? You'd be amazed how many IT people don't know what
that means and can't grasp it. I once wrote a report program which put out
the date in the format:  yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ssZ (ISO 8601) and I got screamed
at. When I asked, I said it was the Universal time, in military format (24
hour clock). I was forced to change it to the "US standard" of mm/dd/yy
hh:ms:ss xM (x==A or P) because nobody understood that format and it was
too difficult for them to understand. This was IT internal only.