Thanks Kurt!  I did see Ed's presentation, but at the time it was a solution
for which I didn't have a problem, so it stayed in the bit bucket.

Unfortunately, even with your and Ed's expert help, I'm still stumped. I just
don't seem to be able to get the "SSH_ASKPASS" to work, even after reading what
literally seems to be everything on the Internet about it.  (My 2 hour job's
gone 2 days now...)

Just a reminder: I'm going from a z/OS sftp client to a non-z/os ftp server
where I can't store user keys.  StrictHostKeyChecking=no is saving the non-z/OS
server's keys in ~/.ssh/known_hosts, but I need to specify a userid/pwd to
access the server.

What I have is:

// EXPORT SYMLIST=(*)
// SET FROM=USER.DFDSS.XMI
// SET TO=CUS12345.ESTFILE
//*
//SFTP     EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH
//STDENV   DD *
SSH_ASKPASS=/tmp/sftp.pw.sh
DISPLAY=DISPLAY
//*
//STDPARM  DD *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
SH cd /tmp;
echo cp -Bv "//'&FROM'" /tmp/&TO;
cp -Bv "//'&FROM'" /tmp/&TO;

echo "echo 'ftppwd'"   > sftp.pw.sh;
chmod 700 sftp.pw.sh;

echo "cd /FTPDir"                > sftp.cmds;
echo "put /tmp/&TO &TO"  >> sftp.cmds;
echo "quit"                       >> sftp.cmds;
chmod 600 sftp.cmds;

echo '--------------------------------------------------------';
echo '-sftp.cmds contents:';
cat sftp.cmds;
echo '--------------------------------------------------------';
echo '-sftp.pw.sh contents:';
cat sftp.pw.sh;
echo '--------------------------------------------------------';

/bin/sftp -b sftp.cmds
-oBatchMode=no
-oPort=2222
-oPasswordAuthentication=yes
-oPreferredAuthentications=password
-oStrictHostKeyChecking=no
-oHostbasedAuthentication=no
-oCheckHostIP=no
-oPubkeyAuthentication=no
-oLogLevel=DEBUG2
-oUser=ftpuser
ftp.ftpserver.com;

rm sftp.pw.sh;
rm sftp.cmds;
rm &TO;
//*
//STDOUT   DD SYSOUT=M
//STDERR   DD SYSOUT=M
//*

Maybe my STDENV isn't getting read, but I can't prove it.  I'm getting:
FOTS1373 ftpu...@ftp.ftpserver.com: Permission denied
(publickey,keyboard-interactive,password).

Here's the tail of my output w/DEBUG1:
debug1: Host '[ftp.ftpserver.com]:2222' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /.ssh/known_hosts:2
debug1: cipher_init: aes128-ctr from source CPACF, used in non-FIPS mode
debug1: rekey after 4294967296 blocks
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: cipher_init: aes128-ctr from source CPACF, used in non-FIPS mode
debug1: rekey after 4294967296 blocks
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
FOTS1373 ftpu...@ftp.ftpserver.com: Permission denied
(publickey,keyboard-interactive,password).
debug1: zsshSmfSetConnSmfStatus: SMF status is 0
Connection closed.
FOTS0841 Connection closed

Here's the head, showing the contents of my sftp.pw.sh and sftp.cmds files:

cp -Bv //'USER.DFDSS.XMI' /tmp/CUS12345.ESTFILE
USER.DFDSS.XMI -> /tmp/CUS12345.ESTFILE: binary
-sftp.cmds contents:
cd /FTPDir
put /tmp/CUS12345.ESTFILE CUS12345.ESTFILE
quit
-sftp.pw.sh contents:
echo 'ftppwd'
FSUM1012 The initial working directory was not specified.
FSUM1006 A shell was not specified. Processing continues using the default
shell name.
stty: !FSUMB045 failed to get termios attributes: EDC5134I Function not
implemented.
debug1: zsshSmfSetConnSmfStatus: SMF status is 0
debug2: resolving "ftp.ftpserver.com" port 2222
debug2: ssh_connect_direct: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to ftp.ftpserver.com [192.208.58.102] port 2222.
debug1: Connection established.

My /etc/ssh/ssh_config only has an entry for Ciphers and MACS - I think that's
what IBM ships.  I don't have my own ~/.ssh/ssh_config.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again,
Wendell