I have a DYNALLOC set up with a default of adding
the RLSE text unit (to release the space after a CLOSE.)

This is to retrieve a system-provided DD name for an eventual OPEN OUTPUT operation,
for opening a DSN(MEM)  PDS/PDSE member.

The PDS in question already exists (happens to be a PDSE.) That is, this is not
a NEW allocation.

So, basically it would be something like:

 //<sysname> DD DSN=MY.PDSE(MEM),SPACE=(RLSE),DISP=SHR

(no other space parms are provided in the DYNALLOC text-units, it's invalid
JCL but seems to be OK for DYNALLOC.)

It seems that if the RLSE text-unit is provided, _all_ of the remaining space in the PDS/PDSE is released, not just "space" for the member; that is, the entire PDS/PDSE allocation
is truncated on the CLOSE.

I would expect RLSE to apply to the member - which doesn't make sense,
since the eventual directory update is going to set the member's size to just
the blocks in the PDS/PDSE it's using... but it seems to be applying to the
entire PDS/PDSE... which is equally surprising.

Am I rightly surprised, or does it not apply to the entire PDS/PDSE and
there is something else in my processes that is perhaps releasing the
allocated space.
That is, what does the RLSE text-unit mean when the allocation has a DSN
and a MEMBER for an existing PDS/PDSE?

Just hoping someone has been down-this-road before...

  - Thanks! -
 - Dave Rivers -

--
riv...@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847