From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 3:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Smart hyphens smart!

In

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.bpxa500/r4paxsh.htm

each option is shown as being introduced by an en-dash, x'e2 80 93'
rather than the corrct hyphen, x'2d'.  This is a disservice to
programmers who choose to copy-and-paste code from the reference
materials to commands they are composing.

In my case, I was frustrated when I tried "Find in Page" for "-c"
only to discover it needs to be "–c" (en-dash rather than hyphen.)
The similar appearance is inexcusably deceptive.

RCF submitted.  The problem does not appear in the PDF.

This may be worse than smart quotes, the bane of copy-and-paste
code examples, because the appearance is more similar.

-- gil