For those who don't know, XYplorer <https://www.xyplorer.com/> is a replacement for Windows' Explorer, with rather a lot more functionality, and that's a huge understatement. Like Tom Brennan's Vista TN3270, you can try it free for 30 days, the "Standard License Pro" costs USD 39.95, never expires, and gives free upgrades (usually a few per week(!)) for a year, the "Lifetime License Pro" costs USD 79.95, never expires, and gives free upgrades forever. Both can be used on all of your computers.

OK, advertising out of the way, Donald Lessau the developer has added a tweak to the "Mouse-Down Blow-Up" feature (click and hold on the icon of a file, and you'll see its contents) to auto-convert EBCDIC files. I asked for it (it's kind of useful to have a quick look at XMIT files containing source, README, or "$INDEX" like members) and he has hard-coded some defaults:

   The conversion is hard-coded to IBM EBCDIC International (codepage 500)
   and a record length of 80.
   Affects Text Preview, Hover Box, Mouse Down Blow Up, Quick File View,
   Floating Preview.

I suggested the LRECL=80, he himself went for CP 500. I've already suggested that he "externalizes" the CP, but if he doesn't, is there a opinion on which code-page might be more useful for "Joe Average".

For what it's worth, I suggested that the EBCDIC auto-detect is based on long strings of the ASCII "@" character, the EBCDIC space.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins