FWIW: the Telefunken TR4 indeed only supported half word addressing;
the half words being 24 bits; full words of 48 (plus some extra) bits had even adresses, which also were the addresses of the left halfword; the right halfword had the address
of the left halfword plus one.

The TR 4 offspring TR 440 (which was ten times faster, a time sharing machine) supported COBOL and later Multics-PL/1; and then there was the need to support
byte addressing, too. So some operations were added which worked
on so-called "Oktadenadressen", which were in fact halfword addresses
multiplied by 3 (you can imagine how the mapping of the byte addresses to the halfword addresses worked, very similar to the IBM/360). The Telefunken TR 440 was developped from 1965 on and first delivered in 1969. So this was indeed after IBM/360; but IIRC, the byte addressing added to the TR 440 was not inspired by the
360 machine - the COBOL compiler group asked for that.

I recently read some old documents about the German computer industry in the 1960s. The IBM/360 announcement apparently came like a shock to Telefunken, but they finally decided to keep direction, because some important customers asked for a
system to replace the TR 4 machine, which had been quite successful.
And German government supported and funded the development.

About 50 TR 440 machines were built, and they worked until the mid 1980s in Germany
(at universities). 20 Million Deutsche Marks for one machine :-)
It was no commercial success, but it motivated many people to enter the
computer business; it was much fun, after all :-)

I worked with the TR 440 at Stuttgart university from 1977 to 1981,
when I was a young student of computer science. The programming language
I used most was Pascal (and some Telefunken-ASSEMBLER).
From 1984 to 2001 ca.: Pascal/VS on IBM machines on VM/CMS :-)
Later 370-ASSEMBLER, PL/1 and C.
Today again: New Stanford Pascal - http://bernd-oppolzer.de/job9.htm

Kind regards