On 2020-11-18, at 10:16:41, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

> Can you explain the difference between executing a script that executes the
> program, which requires this, while running the program directly (with a
> fully qualified path) does not?

I can hardly imagine a case where a program with a non-searchable
directory in its path can be "[run] directly (with a fully qualified
path)" but not from "a script that executes the program."  Does the
script also use a fully qualified path?

I'm skeptical without seeing a detailed example such as:

myscript:
#! /bin/sh -x
/u/dvfjs/rocket/bin/curl

chmod a-x /u/dvfjs/rocket/bin
ls -lid /u/dvfjs/rocket/bin/curl # should get permission denied.

cat myscript
chmod a+rx myscript
ls -lid myscript
./myscript    # should get permission denied.

# while:
/u/dvfjs/rocket/bin/curl # should likewise get permission denied.

# If it succeeds it's because the z/OS kernel breaks
# (more precisely fails to enforce) the rules.
# That should be subject to APAR.

-- gil