On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 11:13:31 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>Oh for gosh sakes!
>
>I had the bright idea of passing a unique label for IF to test so the PROC
>becomes
>
>//MYPROC PROC PRM1=,PRM2=,LBL=
>//&LBL EXEC PGM= etc.
>// IF (&LBL..RC = 4) THEN
>//STEP2 EXEC PGM= etc.
>// ENDIF
>
>//X EXEC MYPROC,PRM1=A,PRM2=B,LBL=FOO
>//Y EXEC MYPROC,PRM1=C,PRM2=D,LBL=BAR
>
>But nooooo!
>
>9 IEFC662I INVALID LABEL
>
>Apparently you can't use a symbol for a step name? Is that right?

True rather than right.

I hadda lookitup.  In the JCL Ref.:
    Rules for coding symbols in JCL
    Follow these rules when coding symbols in JCL:
    4. Do not use symbols to change the identifier field, name field, or
operation field of a JCL statement.

JCL specification was written by the infinite number of monkeys
who didn't grasp orthogonality.

Even worse are the rules for overrides and referbacks to nested
PROC calls.  I recognize that immutable structure of control blocks
allows for only two levels.  The restriction could have been eased
by generated procprocstep names.

-- gil