-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 15:42

https://opensource.com/business/14/12/linux-philosophy

--- On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 06:46:15 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:
>What the heck were the UNIX designers thinking when they allowed the casual
>creation of a filename of -x? There may be a legitimate reason why someone
>would want to create a file named -x but if so, then *they* should be made to
>jump through some small hoop and "escape" the name in some way. The innocent
>victim who stumbles into this situation should not be the one made to jump
>through hoops. Will UNIX allow the creation of a file named "rm *"? That could
>have some interesting side effects.

Even worse, a file named "-rf *".

This resembles the plaint of a JCL novice who has just encountered, painfully,
the astonishing behavior of:
    //SYSUT1 DD DSN=&SYSUID..PDS(MEMBER),DISP=(OLD,DELETE)

That should be fixed for DYNALLOC, JCL, TSO, globally by making the TU for
member mutex with the TU for delete.  Who volunteers to bell the RFE cat?

Probably there's a "dusty deck" somewhere whose inexcusably clever author
relied on the behavior and whose heirs haven't access to the source.