On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 11:52:13 -0800, Charles Mills  wrote:

>Does anyone know where any compiler options are preserved in object code? I
>am at this moment specifically interested in the XL C/C++ compiler options
>TARGET and ARCH. In the pseudo-assembler listing I see

I know FOSS products that do something like defining CC_OPTS as
a makefile macro then also quote it to pass to the compiler.
Schematically:
    cc ${CC_OPTS} -DCCOPTS="${CC_OPTS}" source.c

Make sure you use it so optimization doesn't toss it.  Printing
it in response to a "version" command should suffice.

-- gil