Wikipedia used to have some great articles on each of the EBCDIC Code Pages.

In July 2020 someone marked all 120+ pages for deletion for "lack of
notability".
In accordance with procedure, the relevant committee voted on this, and the
majority decision was to keep the pages.
However the individual ignored the vote, and deleted all 120+ pages.

Pushback forced the individual to say they could be transwiki-ed to wikibooks
if somebody else did it, but he showed no regret for his deletion actually
preventing that from happening.

The revisionist history was invented that it was a consensus decision to
delete/transwiki those pages.
Wikipedia's own logs reveal something different.

The URLs had the form  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC_500  which can be
viewed at
https://web.archive.org/web/20200724140250/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC_500

In the case of  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC_1140  it pointed to
EBCDIC_037 as in
https://web.archive.org/web/20200712175228if_/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC_037#CP1140
because EBCDIC 1140 is just EBCDIC 037 with the square lozenge ICU
(International Currency Unit) symbol replaced with the Euro symbol.

Attempts to reconstruct some of these deleted web pages, such as
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:EBCDIC_037   or the links in
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Requests_for_import/Archives/2020/September
are incomplete or misleading templates in their current state.

Strangely the same kinds of Wikipedia articles for non-EBCDIC code pages remain
untouched.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Latin_character_sets_(computing)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

Was EBCDIC targeted through ignorance or malice?

My next donation to Wikipedia is scheduled for when all 120+ EBCDIC pages are
reinstated on Wikipedia itself.

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 08:17:23 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 09:04:03 -0600, Norbert Friemel wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:58:49 +0000, Windt, W.K.F. van der (Fred) wrote:
>>>
>>>The IBM website used to have complete descriptions of every CCSID including
>>>a complete overview of every character (glyph) in that CCSID with it's
>>>encoding. Simply googling "IBM CCSID 1140" would quickly get you to the page
>>>of CCSID 1140. The CCSID was in the url so you could quickly switch to
>>>another CCSID by changing the url. But with the change to Knowledge Center I
>>>can't find those pages anymore... Does anybody know where the CCCSID
>>>descriptions have gone?
>>
>>Not a website but ...
>>ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/globalization/gcoc/attachments/
>>
>That would benefit greatly from an index mapping countries to CCSIDs.

The old website is (partly) archived @
<https://web.archive.org/web/20160303235746/http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/cp/cp_cpgid.html>
I don't know how usable it is

Norbert Friemel