Curtis P wrote
<snip>
On Feb 10, 2021, at 3:27 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I guess blanks are legal in a MODIFY command operand. I see an example
in the manual: F AXR,SYSREXX STATUS

> I did not know that.

I believe that the console address space handles modify commands by
sticking everything after the comma into a buffer and passing that to the
referenced job. Then it’s up to the receiving code to decide how to parse
it.
</snip>

Curtis is correct. Many command processors treat everything after the
first blank as commentary (IEASYSxx parsing, while not a "command", has
that protocol).
Many of the more recent command processors treat blank the same as comma.

HOWEVER, the doc in the book is atypical and will be changed. The intent
is that the doc for commands shows the syntax style typical for commands
(e.g., comma separators, KEYWORD=value notation) while the doc for parmlib
members shows the syntax style typical for parmlib members (blank
separators, KEYWORD(value) notation), even if they might happen to support
both styles (as the SETPROG command and the PROGxx parmlib member do).

Charles, I found that here "z/OS 2.4.0 ->  IBM z/OS Management Facility ->
IZUP916E". Did you perhaps find another occurrence that we can also
correct?

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design