From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 9:38 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Contents of TOD Programmable Field under z/OS?

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 23:33:25 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>Peter,
>
>I must disagree that it is not a programming interface.  The problem-state
>instruction STCKE returns its value and the field is clearly defined in PoOP,
>so problem-state users deserve to know how the contents are set by the only
>program authorized to set it, the operating system.
>
>The particular application here involves generating unique application-related
>values.  I can also see its application to entropy-gathering routines
>determining a unique random seed for statistical purposes.
>
>There are probably other uses I haven't imagined.

Uncharacteristically, I'll agree with Peter R. here (mostly).  I said earlier:
    A possible answer is that it's release-dependent, subject to change,
    and as long as the [uniqueness] constraint is met IBM chooses not to
    document it in order to retain flexibility for future releases.

My "mostly" is that IBM might provide in a software publication assurance that
the OS sets bits 112-127 to values that guarantee uniqueness with a stated
scope.

Using clock values as a source of entropy is discouraged.  If a (fe)malefactor
can make a good guess at an interval during which the clock is sampled there's
little entropy available.

As for "unique application-related values" and probable "other uses", present a
business case.

But the PoOps does not disdain software topics.  It contains tables of a few
dozen entries mapping TOD values to UTC.  These depend on a site's choice of
TOD epoch (some still use local) and leap second conventions.  (We abandoned
leap seconds for timestamp consistency across program products.)  Those tables
might more properly appear in a software publication, perhaps in the
description of the TIME and STCKCONV macros.

attachments from your system.