-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 8:23 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [External] Re: No file permissions or super user authority for
executing a shell script

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021 13:26:07 +0000, Pommier, Rex wrote:

>I'm asking this from a "I don't know" standpoint because I've never used them.
> Doesn't RACF have extended ACLs that could possibly come into play here?  As
>in using RACF to grant read or execute authority to the script?  If so, how
>would that be shown?  I would assume that the "normal" Unix security would
>remain at 700 but the extended ACL would allow the access and show up
>elsewhere?

But allowing access in that fashion seems to violate POSIX:

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap04.html#tag_04_05

     4.5 File Access Permissions
    Implementations may provide additional or alternate file access control
mechanisms, or both.
    An additional access control mechanism shall only further restrict the
access permissions
    defined by the file permission bits.  ...

-- gil

Hi Gil,

Thanks for that bit of information.  As I stated, I've never used ACLs but what
you're saying makes sense.

Rex

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.