On 6/04/2021 9:53 pm, Charles Mills wrote:
You don't use templates
I certainly do use templates. Not sure how you get "don't use templates" from what I
wrote. Heck, I *over* used templates in the first large C++ project I ever did, and boy, does that
make a mess! Now I think I am down to a happy medium. I don't see them as "competitive"
(in a design sense) with macros.

Overusing as in template meta-programming? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_metaprogramming

The XL C++ compiler is withering on the vine. The word is that IBM don't the resources to keep it up to date with the current standards so the xlclang++ port of clang using the existing Toby back-end is the way to go. If you use PDS data sets for your source your SOL as it's z/OS UNIX only and only produces 64-bit modules.

But what I find exciting is that IBM have stated their intentions to fully port LLVM/clang/libc[++] to z/OS without a reliance on LE so supervisor state programming in C++ will be a reality without the nightmare of LE ESPIE/ESTAE condition handlers.

https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-June/142174.html

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 5:15 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Meta languages [was: RE: Assembler Language Programming for IBM
System z Servers]

On 6/04/2021 1:23 am, Charles Mills wrote:
But IMHO none easy to learn or use.
I am generally not a fan of meta languages at all. I think writing programs is
hard enough, without having to write two effective programs: one that runs at
compile time and one that runs at run time.

In my C++, which is now my primary language, I eschew the use of C macros as
much as reasonably possible. Reasonableness is a key here. For a few things,
macros make sense.
That's interesting. You don't use templates which are one the most
powerful features of C++?