On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 17:48:52 +0000, Farley, Peter x23353
<peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:

>Just a question of curiosity:  Is it possible to tell if zEDC compression is
>active for an LPAR or for a particular DASD pool?  Perhaps an ISMF screen?
>
>I know how to check with LISTCAT whether a file WAS compressed via zEDC, but I
>would like to know how to tell whether or not it WILL be used when creating a
>new file in a given DASD pool.
>
>Peter
>--
>
>This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
>addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If
>the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized
>representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
>dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
>received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
>and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Some technical considerations these days with zEDC exploitation:
- Different for z15 (Accelerator facility, on-chip) vs z14 (PCIe) and earlier;
z14 and earlier requires PARMLIB(IFAPRDxx) license-authorization.
- z14 and earlier: D IQP command
- SMS-accessible, using a suitably-defined DATACLAS, with COMPACTION attribute
for zEDC.
- SMF LOGSTREAMs, using SMFPRMxx and COMPRESS(…) parameter, also PERMFIX.
- API-accessible, such as zlib (e.g., PKZIP, FDR, MQ, Java, Connect-Direct,
others?)  - consider function/request zlibVersion which returns sub-string
“zEDC” when available, up thru z14 as I understand ?
- IGDSMSxx, COMPRESS parameter ?  IQPPRMxx ZEDC parameter, up thru z14 ?
- Additional considerations, such as SAF FACILITY resource access (z14 and
lower, no longer required starting with z15), such as
FPZ.ACCELERATOR.COMPRESSION

Scott Barry
SBBTech LLC