Recapping:

Tom Brennan asked:

>Side subject - so how do you pronounce CPACF?  I always say each letter,

>but some IBM crypto folks say C-Pack-F

I spell it out. “See-pack-eff” makes my head hurt.

Chris Hoelscher added:

>Or, for that matter, is it C - I - C - S or KIX? (I use the former, but I
know many use the latter)

>René Jansen:

>My observation: Brits say KIX, Americans C-I-C-S and Germans, Austrians and
Swiss say SIKS.

And is it Italians or Brasilians who say “cheeks”? That’s my favorite.

>Charles Mills:

>When I moved Eastern to Western US many moons ago it seemed to me as if in
the East I had always heard the acronyms spelled out: D-O-S, C-I-C-S; but
that in the West I heard "doss" and "kicks."

I grew up in Southern Ontario, have been at vendors in the East for 35
years; I’ve always said “doss” and see-eye-see-ess. Go figure.

>DASD is always pronounced, isn't it? Does anyone ever say D-A-S-D?

Non-mainframers!

>Db2 on the other hand is always spelled. No one ever says "dub-two."

But they mostly spell it wrong (“DB2”). That’s IBM’s fault for changing it.

>wjanulin:

>That is ok. I once had a senior manager ask me what was the difference
between C.I.C.S. and kicks. With a smile, l told him they are one in the
same.

*one AND the same (just sayin’).

>Tom Brennan  <mailto:t...@tombrennansoftware.com> t...@tombrennansoftware.com
via ua.edu

>Ha ha - now you reminded me of a phone call years ago with an ISV

>programmer in England (I'm in USA).  The guy said something like, "What

>does that Wah-Toe indicate?"  And I'm like, Wah-Toe????   Oh... it's WTO :)

A friend worked with someone who pronounced EVERYTHING like words. So
“CPACF” would probably be something like “suh-pack-eff”. Not recommending
this approach, mind you.

>I say C-I-C-S too.

>Oops... this is the stuff David Crayford said drives people away from

>this group.  I'll stop now.

Nah. As Dave Gibney notes, DELETE key is easy. But hijacking a thread is
arguably uncool (not complainin’ myself, just noting that there is a
reasonable argument that says “If you’re gonna change the subject, change
the subject”), hence this note!