On Tue, 11 May 2021 08:54:05 +1000, Attila Fogarasi wrote:

>Z/os has to handle arbitrary TIMEZONE values -- and does it well.  Keep in
>mind that there are dozens of world locations that have non-hour timezone

It does it poorly.  Of the "dozens of world locations" any z/OS system
handles only two.  And see the problems mentioned by Steve Austin
and Ed Jaffe in followup plies.  I have a computer in my shirt pocket
that does better for a price lower by orders of magnitude.

>offsets (typically 30 min and 15 min).  There are even locations which have
>Daylight Saving Time 30 min ahead of standard time instead of the usual 1
>hour.  Could be worse, there used to be countries with 12 min offset for
>timezone, but that ended circa 1986.  The net is that z/OS doesn't think
>that 1 hour 1 minute timezone offset is unusual :)

In the view of many (perhaps most) the intent of Local Time  is  not to
make the computer room floor a sui generis "timezone" but to provide
a time that agrees with the clock on the bank wall.

-- gil