Glenn,

Thank you for your excellent suggestions. We implemented things exactly your way and we're quite pleased.

My POC did not use incremental flashcopy. We're using it now, based upon your suggestion, and the result is the controller does a lot less work -- which is great. The only downside is the surprising inability to issue SPACEREL on thinly-provisioned volumes in a permanent relationship. We will wait to see if that becomes an issue over time.

DSS dump conditioning results in no DSF CLIP needed after a full-volume restore of a z/OS volume. That's a blessing.

We're even using HSM to back up PIT flashcopies of our z/VSE, z/VM and Linux for Z volumes. In some cases, we're using BACKVOL and in other cases DSS DUMPing the flashcopy target to zEDC-compressed, SMS-managed DASD data sets which are then instantly migrated to ML2 tape. Eventually, we intend to use TCT and cloud for much of this. (I found a leading cloud provider that charges literally ZERO for unlimited object storage.)

It sure would be nice if:

a) HSM could perform data set-level recovery from SMS COPYPOOL full-volume dumps just as it does for other full-volume dumps!

b) HSM could provide FRBACKUP-like processing (i.e., manage flashcopy "under the covers") for non-SMS managed volumes!

Thanks again for your help!

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe