On Sun, 16 May 2021 09:06:10 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>I don't know whether CSSMTP employs EBCDIC to ASCII conversion for
>everything or has the smarts to restrict that conversion to headers and
>ordinary text.  If for everything, then obviously the only way to send
>UTF-8 via XMITIP, JES and CSSMTP would be for XMITIP to put it in the
>email body as a base-64 encoded segment.

https://www.lbdsoftware.com/XMITIP-Guide.pdf
    Note that all data on the mainframe is stored in the EBCDIC character set
    and is translated to the ASCII character set during the transmission.
    Any data that should not be translated should be attached in Binary format.

Possibly:  iconv -f IBM-420 -t UTF-8
Then transmit as BINary.

You might yet be frustrated because IBM mainframes (I believe)
store Arabic, etc. text backwards.

-- gil