The problem I have with COND= is that it's back-asswards.  First, it
specifies conditions to NOT run the step.  You have to keep in mind that
with multiple conditions, any TRUE condition means don't run the step.
Except for ONLY & EVEN, which specify conditions for which the step *will*
run.  Second, the natural way to code a test is to say "if variable
[comparison] value", not the reverse that COND requires.

It's certainly possible to train yourself to grok that, but it's about as
unintuitive as it can be.  The IF / ELSE constructs are a great improvement
in understandability.  You can continue using the old way if you like, and
I don't see any argument that the new way causes any problems.  So what's
the complaint?

For the record, I use both COND and IF as I see fit, but if an OR or AND
rears its head, I'm likely to recast the whole thing into REXX.

sas