I've been trying to track down what's causing system 1M page demotions on our
test system.  The component trace IBM gave me shows, in part:

SYS5      SGTDEM64  00000063  12:44:53.270019  Demote 1M 64 bit page
     FUNC1... COPYSRVH          High Virtual Copy Service
     JOBN1... ZUMCCMG1 ASID1... 0215     PLOCKS.. 8800C001 CPU..... 0006
     JOBN2... ZUMCCMG3 ASID2... 022D     RLOCKS.. 8800C001 RLOCKDET 0800
     KEY..... 0036     ADDR.... 035E1008 ALET.... 00000000

The COPYSRVH function isn't well documented but, from I see, UNIX fork
processing invokes it to copy memory to the new process.  This makes sense in
that JOBN1 and JOBN3 are both USS processes.

Both LFAREA and SCM on this system are less than 1% used.  Why is z/OS demoting
pages?

Thanks.

Robert Crawford
Mainframe Management
United Services Automobile Association
(210) 913-3822

« Des clochards comme nous, bébé nous sommes nés pour courir » - Voltaire
Please send requests to mainframe management through our front door at
go/mfmfrontdoor<https://onc.jira.usaacloud.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=15466>

Classification: Internal

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are the property of USAA and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email or any attachments is
unauthorized. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify
the sender and delete the email and any attachments from your computer.