This is hardware specific -- it varies by your z model level (ie. z14 vs
z15, etc.).   Normally the CBU records are preconfigured in the SE and
activated by command.  IME the phone call is when you are outside the
bounds of the preconfigured CBU records ... so there is a financial cost
incurred.  I would image IBM would frown on turning that off :)  In any
case the charges would be incurred at true-up time.  Tailor fit pricing is
a great choice (but requires z15 hardware, it sounds like you don't have
that).