From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Seymour J Metz
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 11:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Coding for the future

Long ago in a galaxy far away, they handed each of us a stack of manuals and
told use that we were all enrolled in a 7070 class and had to read all of the
manuals before the class started. It turned out that some of the students were
answering questions that stumped the instructor, and that if you read the
manuals you didn't need the course.

The worst are the ones that score based on the quantity of comments instead of
their quality. That guaranties cluttered and unhelpful comments. People will
behave in such a fashion as to optimize how their organization ranks them; if
teir grades or performance reviews depend on doing something sub-optimal, then
that's what they'll do. Measure the things that actually matter.

I generally frown on marking students down on stylistic issues like labels on
separate lines, but I will mark down for

         LA    R7,5              Put 5 in register 7

Don't tell me what LA does, tell me why you're putting that value in that
register. If there is nothing useful to say in the comment, then omit it.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmason.gmu.edu%2F~smetz3&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cthomas.savor%40fisglobal.com%7Cbe99c6f1bde54085afe408d930df9961%7Ce3ff91d834c84b15a0b418910a6ac575%7C0%7C0%7C637594559179362403%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=kaKOh28RkIFxgof3dWR3QMgfWMAyZeQ8ijJ7XLqXpXE%3D&amp;reserved=0