From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mike Hochee
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 10:15 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Coding for the future

I suspect I'm a 'man overboard' on this one, but don't feel I need a life
preserver.  Having worked on some larger products with many many moving parts,
and not of my own making, I would always welcome the use of Token_Len, and if
it is being used to prime a register, no comment really needed.  I'm good with
the COBOL example as well, and might not even take note of potential overkill.
At some point, so called structured programming, functional decomposition,
re-usage, (maybe even 'elegance'), made their way into my brain and heart, so
that they are now tightly bound up with my soul, and I never even knew it was
happening! Powerful stuff!

On the other hand, when my performance and efficiency identity asserts itself,
the COBOL example would be a strong candidate for change, and I wouldn't think
twice about it.