From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Marna WALLE
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 1:35 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Serverpac installs January 2022 and beyond - Requests

External Email

Hi Terri,
You are correct that within the z/OSMF interface, there is no way to edit a
produced job for Deployment.  It is intended that no editing is necessary, in
that if you need to "tweak" the job, we should be providing that capability
within the interface itself.  The JCL produced should reflect what you want and
also can be saved such that it can be reused for similar deployments, to avoid
the same future tweaking.

Did you have any specifics on what you wanted to change in z/OSMF, but
couldn't?  Realize that the data set configuration, volumes, and cataloging
capabilities are extremely flexible and should be able to do whatever you want.
 Even more so than the old ServerPac ISPF dialog.  For instance, you can rename
any data set you want, put it anywhere you want, and the old dialog had some
restrictions on certain data sets.  Might there be something in the data set,
volume, and catalog capabilities we are missing?  I'd like to solve the
editing-JCL problem, with a solution for you that allows you to incorporate
your intentions right within the GUI much earlier, save that intention, and
make it so that you never have to "remember" it again should you do a similar
deploy of the product.   (I can see how tweaks to the old ServerPac JCL would
not be saved in the configuration, and then you would have a need to keep doing
those tweaks in the future for every install.  That is not the intention here
with z/OSMF.)

                If I have the capability to modify the names/volumes OF all
datasets then the manual editing issue might go away.  The issues were always
with the ALIAS screen and then that carried over to JCL issues!!

I believe the "work data set prefix" you are referring to is the temporary file
system for use as SMPWKDIR on "Define Job Settings".  Would you like more
information provided for that description to help understand what you are
providing?  Maybe something like a "Learn more..." to quickly show with more
details that we are asking for the beginning qualifier(s) of data set name,
that is a temporary zFS (completely handled within the jobs and accurately
sized) that will be used as the SMPWKDIR?  This should be an easy thing to do,
if it would help.

                Yes just something, so especially for first time use, the
person understand what you are wanting in a field like that workdir.. I am
assuming like /SMPNTS/Workdir  or like that???

On that same checklist location for "Define Job Settings", the jobcard can be
supplied, and also the place where you want all the generated jobs saved (like
we had in SCPPBENU).  Of course, you could run the jobs from that saved data
set from ISPF, but again, the intention is that they are run through z/OSMF so
the interface can keep track of what you've done and how far you've gone.  You
could re-submit the same job again, from z/OSMF, should you wish. Or even
indicate that the job is complete as your ran it from ISPF and you want to
continue on.

                Agreed if I have to submit thru ISPF, then z/OSMF becomes
obsolete after I would generate the jobs, so its better to keep me in one
place!!

If I may suggest to all that will install z/OS V2.5 with z/OSMF, it really
behooves you to define your prior z/OS release right now as a Software
Instance.  This will allow you to model z/OS V2.5 from that prior z/OS release
and not have to re-specify hundreds of data sets and volume placement.  This is
very very similar to the old ISPF ServerPac dialog "save and merge
configuration".  You will still have some unique data sets to deal with, but it
will be a lot fewer than the entire z/OS ServerPac.  Of course, I'd do that
with CICS, Db2, and IMS also.

        I think this is a show stopper for this install if you CANT read the
SAVED config because then everyone can move forward from this z/OS 2.5 release
in z/OSMF.
        I would just spend the time in z/OS 2.6 to rebuild everything, which I
think IBM really is missing the boat here!!!!

-Marna WALLE
z/OS System Install and Upgrade
IBM Poughkeepsie

 [https://go.aciworldwide.com/rs/030-ROK-804/images/aci-footer.jpg]
<http://www.aciworldwide.com>
This email message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary or
non-public information. The information is intended solely for the designated
recipient(s). If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this
email, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any review,
dissemination, use or reliance upon this information by unintended recipients
is prohibited. Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the author
personally.